Whether we like to hear it or not, there’s always a bit of sauce left in a bottle at the back of the fridge or cupboard that you’ve either forgotten about or that you weren't sure what to do with. As the weather is still quite chilly and many of you haven’t dusted those BBQs off just yet, there isn’t always an immediate need for BBQ sauces especially.
To help use those little bits of sauce up and get you out of any potential store cupboard shortages over the coming weeks, we’ve come up with our top 10 tips for using sauces as ingredients.
1. Tomato Ketchup is a great alternative to tomato puree or even chopped tomatoes in Bolognese, stews and chilli – just remember to adjust your usual seasoning as this will add more salt and sweetness than regular chopped tomatoes.
2. Everyday Chilli Sauce or Sriracha can be added to chilli (veg or con carne) to provide an extra kick and savouriness.
3. South Carolina BBQ Sauce or Smoky Chipotle Ketchup is great mixed into baked beans to spice them up and add depth of flavour – on a jacket potato with cheese this is a meal in itself!
4. Coat chicken pieces, breast or thigh with Original or Cherry Bourbon BBQ Sauce before cooking, Hunters Chicken style.
5. Brown Sauce can be used in place of gravy browning or Worcestershire sauce and added to gravy or stews to add depth of flavour.
6. Did you know mayonnaise can be used instead of egg in baking and butter in cooking? Add Original Mayo to cake batter, mashed potato or try a spicy mayo on corn on the cob instead of butter.
7. BBQ Rubs can be made into a tasty chip seasoning or for potato wedges, just add salt to taste.
8. Almost all our sauces can be used to glaze meat, including sausages. Try South Carolina BBQ for sausages, Everyday Chilli Sauce on chicken for fajitas, Beetroot Ketchup on salmon and our Drizzles or BBQ sauces on chicken.
9. Try mixing our hot sauces and chilli sauces with rice or noodles for an easy and warming side dish or snack.
10. Finally, if you have the basic ingredients, there’s nothing like a bit of spicy mayo or flavoursome sauce to make a sandwich, burger or salad something special.
Let us know if you have any other suggestions for using our sauces as ingredients, we love to read them and we think everyone could do with a bit of inspiration at the moment!
Take care 🖤
Pam, James and the team